Wednesday, January 12, 2011

If we innovate any harder we're going to go blind.



It appears that some of you (and I'm not naming names, so instead I will assign each of you an alias: Gustavo, Petruchio, and Electra), don't yet have enough incentive to come see us this Saturday. To these people I can only say:

For crying out loud, what more do you want?

But hey, okay, I get it. So we've got great guests, and we've got awesome comedy, and we've got a well-dressed host and the Official State Wrestler of California on staff, and you know that. All well and good, but you just don't feel challenged by this material, right? I can see where you're coming from.

So let's try a little experiment, something I call the (wait for it) Undesignated Non-Contextual Punchline (write that down, it's very technical. But don't steal it, it's mine!). I'm going to give you the last sentence of a joke, and then you'll have to come to the show if you want to understand what it means. And if you don't, in all likelihood you will be driven mad!

People, please understand, this is edgy, avant-garde stuff we're doing here, this is true postmodernism in its rawest form. By deconstructing your inherent assumptions about the nature of comedy, I’ve reimagined the elemental values of humor and exposed how arbitrary they are. Yeah, I do that.

What I try to do mechanically is reinvent the joke when it's not the joke. I start by reinventing, and then I disinvent it. You're all sophisticated enough to understand what I'm saying, right?

Alright, enough of that. Drum roll please? What do you mean we don't have a drum? Oh, that's right, we used it as a casserole dish that one time. Well, just drum on a table or something. And now, without further ado, on to the punchline:

"There might still be food in it, we haven't confirmed."

What in the holy yellow dog does that mean? Couldn't tell you. Well, I mean, I could, but that would upend my entire creative experiment and prevent a drastic realignment of free expression paradigms across multiple platforms. And that would be bad.

The answer, of course, can be found LIVE, JANUARY 15th, 4pm, AT THE BOXCAR STUDIOS, 125A HYDE STREET IN SAN FRANCISCO! See, now you practically have to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment